Explore UAB


A series of images from the UAB Archives


  • The hospital's boys of summer, 1959

    Univesity Hospital Baseball Team
    June 2023 Image of the Month

    In 1959 a baseball team was organized at University Hospital.  It was comprised of staff from the hospital and from across the Birmingham medical center.  The team competed in the Northern Division of the Birmingham Amateur Baseball Association and played home games in the city's Jordan Park, located just a few blocks west of the hospital at 8th Avenue South and 11th and 12th Streets South [the location of today's university soccer and baseball fields].  This first team photograph was taken on the roof of the hospital's Jefferson Tower.

    Image ID: P16.1.12, #0239

  • The Veterans Administration Hospital Dedicated, March 22, 1953

    The Veterans Administration Hospital Dedicated
    March 2018 Image of the Month
    Construction for a hospital for veterans began in October 1949 at the University of Alabama’s new medical center in Birmingham.  Roy R. Kracke, MD, dean of the medical school, was a member of President Truman’s Special Medical Advisory Group on Veterans Affairs and was chiefly responsible for the location of the facility in Birmingham.  The hospital was completed in January 1953 and was formally dedicated on March 22, 1953.  The hospital contained 400 beds for veterans, but it also provided much-needed laboratory, research, and clinical space for medical and dental school faculty, many of whom had joint appointments with their school and with the VA.  Students were also able to receive clinical training in the new hospital.

    ID: MC51 #152a

  • The University Hospital School of Nursing, circa 1958

    A group of students walk in front of the University Hospital School of Nursing
    November 2017 Image of the Month

    On November 26, 1958, an open house served as the official dedication of a new home for the nursing school operated by University Hospital. Prior to its acquisition, this building had been home to a beloved-Southside barbecue restaurant, known as Dr. Gus' BBQ. The program's occupancy of the building was short-lived, however, as the building was demolished in 1966 to make way for the Center for Developmental and Learning Disorders [Sparks Center].

    Image ID: P16.1.1, #062

  • Candles in the Canebrake, February 1955

    Set of the Candles in the Cranebrake play
    February 2015 Image of the Month

    In 1955 the University’s five-year old Town and Gown Theatre program was moved into a new home, the Clark Memorial Theatre on Highland Avenue. The first production in this new location was Candles in the Canebrake, which opened on February 14, 1955, and told the story of the Vine and Olive Colony settlement near Demopolis, Alabama.

    Image ID: P45.2, #0741

    On the 60th anniversary of that inaugural performance, the UAB Archives announced the opening of a major collection of Town and Gown archival material, with over 5,000 photographs, hundreds of playbills and event programs, several scrapbooks, and administrative files. Click here to review Record Group 45 or here to contact the UAB Archives for additional information.

  • Dr. Joseph F. Volker provides clinical instruction for dentists and dental students, Thailand, 1951

    Students watch a dental procedure being done by an instructor
    May 2010 Image of the Month

    Volker (far right), the founding dean of the dental school at UAB, spent three months in Thailand as part of a US State Department education program. Volker's trip was the first of many for him and for other UAB faculty, a tradition that has continued for six decades. Today UAB is formally affiliated with several health science institutions in Thailand.

    Image ID: P1, #0126

  • Dental students in the laboratory, circa 1952

    Three dental students examine a large model of the mouth
    October 2008 Image of the Month

    The three students here, (left to right) Randall O. Laffre, Jr., Robert J. Eustice, and Gerald R. Rowe, were members of the first class to graduate from the School of Dentistry. Fifty-two men, all veterans of World War II, matriculated on October 18, 1948, and fifty would graduate on May 31, 1952.

    Image ID: P1, #0221

  • Urban Renewal area, 1958

    Rundown shack in a field with high rise buildings behind it
    June 2008 Image of the Month

    On June 10, 1958 university officials obtained 10 ½ blocks of land adjacent to the Medical Center. The Urban Renewal Project allowed the campus to grow west from its original four blocks. This photograph of the 800 block of South 17th Street – the site currently occupied by the Learning Resources Center – clearly illustrates the substandard conditions found immediately west of the campus. University Hospital and the Veterans Administration Hospital are visible in the background.

    Image ID: P7.2.7, #0571

  • Lawrence Reynolds, MD, at the opening reception of the Lawrence Reynolds Library, 1958

    A woman shakes had with a man while another man looks on
    February 2008 Image of the Month

    Dr. Reynolds, an Alabama native, selected the medical school in Birmingham as home for his collection of over 6,000 books, manuscripts and artifacts. The Lawrence Reynolds Library was dedicated on February 2, 1958. Since 1974 the Reynolds Historical Library has been housed within UAB's Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences. The library collection has grown to over 13,000 items and the library is one of three units that comprise UAB Historical Collections.

    Image ID: P7.2.7, #1521

  • University Hospital staff train in the use of an iron lung, circa 1958

    Students listen to instructor in front of an iron lung machine
    July 2007 Image of the Month

    Nurse Vivian Brown instructs hospital orderlies in the use of the Tank Respirator (iron lung) as part of University Hospital's in-service education program.

    Image ID: P16.1.12, #2505

  • A dental student at work in the School of Dentistry clinic, circa 1958

    A dentistry student works on a patient
    January 2007 Image of the Month

    The dental school was founded in 1948 and the first class graduated in 1952. The clinic facility pictured was completed in 1951 as a portion of the Medical and Dental Basic Science Building (renamed the School of Dentistry Building in 1976).

    Image ID: P11, #033

  • Jo Ann Hyatt, assistant instructor of nursing, 1958

    Nurse looks at a book
    May 2006 Image of the Month

    Jo Ann Hyatt, assistant instructor of nursing, examines the rare books housed in the Reynolds Historical Library at the University of Alabama Medical Center, Birmingham, 1958.

    Image ID: P7.2.8, #0579

Mervyn H. Sterne Library

917 13th St S
Birmingham, AL

(205) 934-6364

Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences

1700 University Blvd
Birmingham, AL

(205) 975-4821

Reynolds-Finley Historical Library

1700 University Blvd - 3rd Floor
Birmingham, AL

(205) 934-4475

Alabama Museum of the Health Sciences

1700 University Blvd - 3rd Floor
Birmingham, AL

(205) 934-4475

Lister Hill Library at University Hospital

615 18th Street S - P235 West Pavilion
Birmingham, AL

(205) 934-2275

801 Building

801 5th Ave South
Room 1111
Birmingham, AL

(205) 934-5432

J. Ellis Sparks Medical Library

301 Governors Drive SE - 3rd Floor
Huntsville, AL 35801

(256) 551-4405

Back to Top